SAP abandoned for Odoo flexibility
June 27, 2019Download PDF
The Frew/Gasco/AB Young (FGY Team) specializes in selling and distributing industrial components.
The three companies are tightly coupled due to their previous existence as divisions within the same company.
This expert team sells, delivers, installs, and maintains components and systems, focused on industrial and commercial markets. Products offered include meters and sensors, valves, controllers, industrial boiler equipment, and gas regulators.
Today, the three distinct companies have similar operations in the same office space and have chosen to use common back office resources for their accounting, technology, warehouse and facilities functions, which provides an excellent platform on which to build their individual businesses. This allows them to leverage an economy of scale from their investments in this infrastructure, both in fixed assets and use of personnel.
Provide High-end Industrial Components and Superior Service
Scott Young, President of Frew Process Group
FGY wanted a better approach to e-commerce, integrated operations management, inventory, CRM, sales, fulfillment, and other key functions. They used SAP Business One before exploring other options, and were frustrated with its black-box design and inability to be modified to effectively support their business functions. FGY wanted a solution that could be manipulated to promote their competitive advantage.
- Custom Sales Functions
- Fine-Tuned Customer and Shipment Tracking
- Tightly Integrated Customer & Market Data Sharing between 3 Companies
- GIS Sales Analysis
Competitive Advantages to Automate
- Specialized sales functions that matched their unique sales cycle. This included detailed commissions tracking, the ability to group the orders together by contract, and outside sales team management to provide just a few examples of sales-related operations the team wanted to optimize.
- Quick and effective delivery tracking tools to support the 3 company’s operational advantage for superior customer service.
- Although the three companies now exist as separate entities, they gain a strong advantage through sharing customer information and market data. FGY required a custom function to synchronize all customer and market data between the three customer systems. A regular update cycle was needed to keep all three systems up to date with the latest changes and additions.
- The FGY team required visual mapping capabilities for customer records on the three company systems. Specifically, the FGY team wanted to use a geographic information system (GIS) software, an extension to the system database, and a 3rd party geo-encoding tool. This would provide unique insight into their customer base and a foundation for more effective sales tactics.
The FGY team required visual mapping capabilities for customer records on the three company systems. Specifically, the FGY team wanted to use a geographic information system (GIS) software, an extension to the system database, and a 3rd party geo-encoding tool. This would provide unique insight into their customer base and a foundation for more effective sales tactics.
The FGY Team engaged Open Source Integrators to work with them to build a complete ERP system. The team used OSI’s approach to Odoo implementation.
FGY is successfully using Odoo for:
- Inventory Management
- Geospatial Sales Analysis
More importantly, the team migrated successfully from SAP Business One to Odoo in months.
The FGY team is using their new system to manage their businesses, adding new functionality in addition to closely mimicking the valuable areas that were set up in the proprietary software.
They are now positioned to effectively grow their business, with a system that supports and amplifies their competitive advantage.
- Dedicated Team
- Effective Testing Team
- Leadership & Stakeholder Flexibility
- Regular and Open Team Communication
The Frew/Gasco/AB Young Team accomplished their goal of migrating from SAP Business One to Odoo, managing Scope, Schedule and Budget carefully.
FGY embarked on a phase II project, which includes integrating Magento for a direct Ecommerce based channel, extending the GIS analysis, and generating a broad range of sophisticated new reports using the Pentaho platform.
FGY’s bold move to leave a legacy platform and successfully move to Odoo clearly demonstrates the effectiveness of the OSI approach to Odoo implementation and most notably the power of FGY’s faith and follow-through to their innovative vision.
Take the next step to connect with us and discover the power of Odoo. We look forward to speaking with you!